Women’s Rock Leader Weekend
Saturday, June 25th & Sunday, June 26th
Want to get on the sharp end???
Jump start your lead climbing career with instruction that is focused on developing proficiency and independence in the world of trad climbing.
While sport climbing continues to grow with increasing popularity, New Hampshire remains a stronghold of the traditional climbing ethic and the allure of adventure stands as strong as ever. Learning to become comfortable and secure on gear-protected routes is a process that requires a serious investment of time and energy and spending a weekend with a guide (and some good company!) is an invaluable way to fast track that learning process.
The goal of the program will be to provide a solid foundation of the fundamental leader skills: gear placement, anchor building, terrain assessment, belay systems for the leader, best rappelling practices, etc. All participants will have the opportunity to lead or mock lead routes and receive actionable feedback and coaching. Other topics that may be covered include multi-pitch transitions and fundamental self-rescue skills.
What’s SheJumps All About???
SheJumps increases the participation of women and girls in outdoor activities to foster confidence, leadership, and connection to nature and community through free and low-cost outdoor education.
They believe in increasing diversity in the outdoors and providing ALL women and girls with the spark that will lead to a lifetime of outdoor learning and empowerment. They welcome all women and girls (transgender and cisgender) as well as non-binary people who identify with the women’s community.
Cool. So wait. What’s the Deal???
Dates: Saturday, June 25th – Sunday, June 26th
Meeting Location: 10 Norcross Circle, North Conway, New Hampshire (Directions can be found here – we are in the back of the parking lot by Ben & Jerry’s and next to the Jewelry Shop – look for our yellow sign and a small set of stairs that lead to our second floor office).
Meeting Time: Day 1: 8:00 am EST; Day 2: TBD.
Cost: $250/person (accommodations and transportation not included, these are the responsibility of each participant).
Registration: Payment in full is required for enrollment and can be submitted through out Payment Form. In the message field, please write “Women’s Rock Leader Weekend”.
Guide: The program will be led by CMG Guide extraordinaire, Janet Wilkinson.
- Previous outdoor climbing experience
- Master of top-rope belaying skills (an understanding of lead belaying skills is ideal)
- Movement Skills: 5.9 indoors; 5.6 outdoors.
What You’ll Need:
The Normal Kit
- Comfortable, athletic clothing for a full day outside.
- A medium-sized backpack to carry your food and water for the day, as well as your climbing gear.
- Plenty of food and water for the day (2L of fluids)
- Basic Gear: Shoes, harness, helmet, chalk bag
- Belay device and locking carabiner (a guide-style belay device, such as an ATC Guide or Petzl Reverso, is preferred).
- 3 – 4 extra locking carabiners
The Leader Kit
- Anchor Building Material (18′-20′ cordellette and/or a 240cm dyneema sling).
- Double length (120cm) nylon or Edelrid Aramid Sling
- Prussik Loop (e.g. 13.5″” Sterling Hollowblock)
- Slings and quickdraws
- Single rack of cams (Black Diamond sizes .3 – #3, or equivalent), plus nuts
- Climbing Rope
- Optional: Personal Anchor System